Prime Day 2021: Amazon Performance Analysis
According to NBC, “Prime Day sales have historically surpassed those on Black Friday and Cyber Monday”, making Prime Day the largest shopping event of the year. With Prime Day 2021 come and gone, we’re taking a look at the numbers.
Overall, our brand partners performed well and have consistently seen the value in optimizing their strategy to make the most of Prime Day. Below are some preliminary results that give further proof into the success of brands who participate in the event.
Brand Partner Results — Apparel #1
- Prime Day 1 (Mon) — Ordered Revenue increased 154% DoD*
- Prime Day 2 (Tues) — Ordered Revenue increased 101% DoD
- Prime Day 1 (Mon) — Ordered Units increased 153% DoD
- Prime Day 2 (Tues) — Ordered Units increased 99% DoD
*This year’s Prime “Day” was a 2-day event — these stats are for both days. Keep in mind that Day 2 DoD results are being compared to Sunday, June 20th (the day before the event) rather than to Prime Day 1.
Prime Week 2020 vs. Prime Week 2021
- Ordered Revenue increased 130% YoY**
- Ordered Units increased 121% YoY
- Conversion Rate increased 132% YoY
**It’s also important to remember that Prime Day 2020 was the latest ever on record, occurring last October, while Prime Day 2021 was the earliest ever for the event, taking place in June.
Prime Week Promoted Products vs. Non-Promoted Products
- Promoted ASINs featuring a Promotion saw a 101% higher rate of Ordered Units than non-promoted ASINs
- Promoted ASINs also saw a 149% higher Conversion Rate than non-promoted ASINs
Brand Partner Results — Apparel #2
- Prime Day 1 (Mon) — Ordered Revenue increased 172% DoD
- Prime Day 2 (Tues) — Ordered Revenue increased 183% DoD
- Prime Day 1 (Mon) — Ordered Units increased 168% DoD
- Prime Day 2 (Tues) — Ordered Units increased 176% DoD
PPC Performance Data
For Pay-Per-Click performance data, the numbers compare the 2-day Prime holiday as a single event and are compared against the 2 days leading up to the event.
- Units sold increased 177%
- Ad sales increased 172%
- Impressions increased 192%
- Clicks increased 150%
- Return on Ad Spend (ROAS) increased 105%
Search & Advertising Recap
Here at Macarta, we’re thankful to lean on the expertise of our team. We checked in with Rene Crandall, our Search Marketing Manager, for some post-Prime Day insights:
“Overall, performance this year from a search and advertising perspective were pretty typical of the usual Prime Day bump. Bids were more expensive (as they are year after year), so ramping up KW bids and budgets before Prime Day is more critical than ever.
It’s also worth noting that brand partners who ran discounts performed much better than brands who didn’t run discounts, which shows that success is largely based on offering price discounts. Some brands also saw more ad-attributed sales on Day 2 of the event vs. Day 1 (and vice versa) — that inconsistency means that it’s important to be aggressive and competitive with advertising on both days.”
If your brand is looking for the same results and needs an expert partner in the Amazon space, we’re here to help! Contact us today.